The series consists of correspondence and reports of senior management of the Petroleum Division, including statistics on petroleum sales, 1940-1986; retail location site profiles produced by the Engineering, Environment & Safety department; memoranda announcing appointments of new petroleum agents ; and photographs of the tank panting program administered by the Petroleum Division.
The Petroleum Division of United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative had its origins in 1935, when U.F.A Central Co-operative Association Ltd. entered into an agreement with Maple Leaf Petroleum Ltd. for supply of petroleum products (fuel oils, lubricating oils, and greases) to local co-ops. Maple Leaf Petroleum was a subsidiary of Imperial Oil Ltd., and it dealt exclusively with local agents of the Co-op. The agents were sometimes local co-ops, but more frequently were small family-owned businesses. Local agencies included service stations, gas bars, and bulk plants (small tank farms, from which fuels were trucked to farmstead tanks). In 1957 UFA Co-op purchased the assets of Maple Leaf Petroleum. In 1984 it introduced fully automated retail petroleum outlets known as cardlocks.
United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative
Statistics on petroleum sales, 1995-1996, are in Fonds 1, Series 18, File 30 in Box A 30.