Alberta Co-operative Wholesale Association collection
5 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of Alberta Co-operative Wholesale Association's By-laws (1949 revision), financial statements, and annual reports from 1946 to 1961.
Alberta Co-operative Wholesale Association Ltd. (ACWA) was incorporated in 1928 by several local consumer co-ops, for the purpose of improving efficiency through large-scale purchasing and warehousing. In 1938 it reorganized, and was owned by 9 local co-ops. It expanded rapidly, and by 1951 it managed 56 co-op stores by arrangement with their local boards of directors. By 1958 it managed over 100 stores. It dealt in groceries, hardware, dry goods, lumber, coal, petroleum products, fertilizers, feeds, and farm supplies. The ACWA was headquartered in Edmonton, and J. Russell Love was its president from the 1940s to 1961. Negotiations to amalgamate ACWA with UFA Co-op were undertaken in 1958, but were unsuccessful due to differences in strategies and financing structures. In 1961 it amalgamated with Federated Co-operatives Ltd., a wholesaler operating in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
The materials were collected by officers of United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative who attended ACWA annual meetings.